Show me how anyone can have faith without actions. I will show you my faith by my actions. (James 2:20 )
A Day in the Life of St. Francis
Have a discussion on who St. Francis of Assisi is and how he showed his love for people and other creations as well. One of the more popular saints, St. Francis, gave us an example of what loving Jesus is like. He not only preached about Jesus, he also encouraged his “brothers” to take care and love the less fortunate and those who have less in life. He taught us to love Jesus by doing and setting a good example for others to follow.
Whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted. (Matthew 23:12 ESV)
The Parable of the Tax Collector and the Pharisee (Luke 18:10-14)
“But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’ “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”
“Two men went up to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men-robbers, evildoers, adulterers-or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’
- What did the Pharisees do? The Tax collector? How was the tax collector different from the Pharisee?
- What kind of attitude did the Pharisee have? What kind of attitude did the tax collector have? Who has a humble heart and a proud heart?
- Who is more sincere in praying? Which of these two prayers do you think was pleasing to God?
- Who do you think went away forgiven and “right with God”?
- Are there times when you are tempted to act like a Pharisee and be the judge of another person?
- Video Presentation
Short clip on how to be kind
Discussion about how kindness can influence others even for just a small act of doing and being good to others. Enumerate different acts of kindness & importance on why we have to be kind:
1. I will help mom in setting the table (or other chores like folding clothes, clearing the table, wiping the table, etc).
2. I will pack away my toys without being told
3. I will share my toys/food with my brother/sister/friend
4. I will pray for the poor
5. I will behave
6. I will say,”I love you.” everyday to my mom, dad and my siblings
You can find related craft for this lesson just >> CLICK HERE <<